A hugely popular and preferred hors d’oeuvre across India, the Paneer Tikka has gained repute across the world too! Marinated, grilled, and skewered the cottage cheese delicacy is a household favourite. Here is a great recipe for a flavourful dish cooked Loveluck style!
Steps to make Paneer Tikka
- Peel, rinse, and dice 1 medium-sized onion in square shaped 1 to 1.5 inches pieces. Rinse and slice 1 small to medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper) in 1 to 1.5 inches pieces.
- You will need ½ cup each of onions and capsicum. Keep aside. You can also use tomatoes if you want.
- Crush 1.5 inches ginger and 6 to 7 small to medium sized garlic to a fine paste in a mortar-pestle.
- You will need 1 tablespoon of crushed ginger-garlic or 1 tablespoon of ready ginger-garlic paste.
- Slice 200 to 250 grams block or paneer into cubes or squares and keep aside. Best is to use homemade paneer.
- Put 200 grams hung curd (greek yogurt) in a bowl. With a whisk beat the curd lightly till smooth.
- Now add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste or 1 tablespoon crushed ginger garlic to the curd.
- Add 2 spoonfuls of Loveluck’s two step gravy mix and blend well using a spatula. Add 1 spoon of lemon juice, salt to taste and blend again. Add the diced onions & Capsicum to paneer and marinate them.
- Toss them gently once marinated. Cover and keep the marinated paneer and veggies in the refrigerator for 2 hours or more.
- This is how they look after 2 hours.
- Begin to thread the veggies and paneer alternately on bamboo skewers. Before you begin to thread preheat oven at 230 or 240 degrees Celsius or 464 degree Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use only the top heating element while preheating as well as grilling. Soak or rinse the bamboo skewers before threading.
- Place them on a tray lined with aluminium foil or parchment paper.
- Brush with some oil all over.
- Place the tray on the top rack and grill in the preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes first at 230 to 240 degrees Celsius or 464 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then remove the tray from the oven and turn the paneer tikka skewers.
- Again, keep back on the top rack in the oven and continue to grill till the edges of paneer and veggies are golden or slightly charred for about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not grill for a long time as the paneer tends to become hard. Since temperatures vary from oven to oven do keep a check. You can reduce or increase the time as required. Total grilling time will be 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove once done. Serve the paneer tikka sprinkled with some chaat masala and lemon juice. Also serve mint chutney, onion slices and lemon wedges on the side.